KEF Uncovers Its R Series – Seven New Speakers For All Applications
For over half a century, the UK-based speaker manufacturer KEF has won countless awards for its range of loudspeakers. Now the company has announced a range of seven new speakers that KEF claims are engineered to provide more detail, deeper insight and greater excitement and come in a contemporary, timeless design driven by acoustics.
At the heart of the latest R Series is Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT). Each intricate channel in the MAT is designed to efficiently absorb a specific frequency in a highly complex maze-like structure. When combined, KEF claims the channels act as an acoustic black hole, absorbing 99% of the unwanted sound from the rear of the tweeter, eliminating the resulting distortion and providing a purer, more natural acoustic performance.
A bespoke 12th-generation Uni-Q driver array featuring MAT is used in all seven models of the R Series to deliver a more detailed performance. The company claims it’s the result of decades of accumulated in-house knowledge and the application of innovative simulation and analysis tools.
The detail and clarity delivered across the R Series range comes from a selection of tweaks and modifications explicitly created for this collection. From the refined tweeter gap damper that tames resonances for improved detail to the flexible Decoupling Chassis, which prevents unwanted vibrations for enhanced clarity.
KEF says hybrid aluminum bass drivers produce tight, deep, controlled bass. In addition, an improved crossover design and fine-tuned signal path have been developed to create a pristine sound. These innovations all come together to ensure the R Series sound transparent and life-like.
The R Series provides a choice of seven models for building the ideal audio system, whether a basic stereo system or a home theater setup. There’s a trio of floor-standing speakers, including R11 Meta, R7 Meta and R5 Meta, for bigger rooms and a bigger sound. There’s also a bookshelf speaker for those with less space: the R3 Meta, ideal for reproducing high-fidelity stereo sound.
If users want to experience immersive Dolby Atmos sound. In that case, the R8 Meta surround speaker can be added to a system either as a wall-mounted unit or for placing on top of another R Series loudspeaker. With the addition of any of KEF’s subwoofers, it’s possible to create a complete cinematic experience.
KEF says that some carefully selected color options complement the understated look of the R Series. Designed for use at home in traditional or modern interiors, each model in the R Series is available in a choice of three finishes: Black Gloss, White Gloss, and Walnut.
Two models in the range also have unique signature finish options: the Titanium Gloss Special Edition for R7 Meta, and the Indigo Gloss Special Edition for R3 Meta. The R3 Meta also features threaded insets that enable the speaker to be mounted securely onto the top of the KEF S3 Floor Stands, which include integrated cable management and a mass-loadable column.
Pricing & Availability: The KEF R Series of loudspeakers is available now.
- R11 Meta (per pair): $6,500 / £5,500 / €6,500.
- R7 Meta (per pair): $5,000 / £4,200 / €5,000.
- R5 Meta (per pair): $4,000 / £3,000 / €3,500.
- R3 Meta: $2,200 / £1,900 / €2,200.
- R6 Meta (piece): $2,000 / £1,600 / €1,800.
- R2 Meta (piece): $1,400 / £1,200 / €1,400.
- R8 Meta (per pair): $1,600 / £1,400 / €1,600.
More info: www.kef.com
- Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT eliminates 99% of high-frequency distortion).
- Bespoke 12th generation Uni-Q with MAT driver array.
- Refined tweeter gap damper for reducing resonances.
- Flexible Decoupling Chassis prevents unwanted vibrations.
- Hybrid aluminum bass drivers for tighter, deeper, controlled bass.
- Enhanced crossover and fine-tuned signal path.
- Constrained Layer Damping bracing dissipates unwanted vibrations.
- Seven models: R11 Meta, R7 Meta, R5 Meta, R3 Meta, R6 Meta, R2 Meta, R8 Meta.
- Available in Black Gloss, White Gloss and Walnut finishes, plus an exclusive Titanium
- Gloss Special Edition for R7 Meta and Indigo Gloss Special Edition for R3 Meta.
- Microfiber grilles offer the balance between driver protection, sonic performance and aesthetics.
- S3 Floor Stand for R3 Meta is available as a separate item.